Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

NANA'S RECIPE JOURNAL

This is one of my most prized possessions.

A metal recipe card holder I inherited from my Nana, filled with recipes from her family and friends.

While I've not made all of these dishes, the goal of "Friday's Recipe Journal" is to record the favorite recipes my family will actually eat. There are a few that will never grace my table again, but most have been successful with a few tweaks to bring them into the twenty-first century. Although, to be honest, there is no substitute for real, salted butter.

Chicken with Artichoke Hearts
1/4 cup salted butter, melted
6 chicken breasts
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoons of salt
1 1/4 cups white wine
1 cup chicken broth
3 oz. cream cheese
1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, quartered
1/4 cup toasted almonds

Brown chicken breasts in melted butter. Remove chicken form pan and put into a baking dish with a lid. Add onion and garlic to butter in pan. Saute until tender. Add flour and salt and whisk until blended. Add white wine and chicken broth, whisking until bubbly over medium heat. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Put artichoke heart quarters on top of chicken and pour cheese sauce over both. Top with almonds. Bake at 350ยบ for 45-50 minutes until bubbly and slightly browned. Serve over white rice.

This recipe (unbaked) can be assembled a day ahead and/or frozen for a month.


My ultimate goal is to try-out and record every usable recipe from my grandmother's collection and compile them for my children, as well as the women (and a few of the men) in my extended family.

Enjoy!
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. I love the recipie you made mom it was yummy!
    :-) I miss you and can't wait to see you love Lamby

    ReplyDelete