Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

RECIPE JOURNAL: APRICOT AND PECAN SCONES


Now only available through second-hand book stores, this little cookbook, written in 1995 by Barbara Scott-Goodman and Mary Goodbody, is one of my all-time favorites. It's not on my keeper shelf just because every recipe is wonderful. It was a gift from my sister-in-law who is also one of my best friends. 

Although I've been working through my grandmother's recipe box, figuring out what's worth keeping and what I'll never make again, I'm pausing to post a recipe for scones because that's one thing my grandmother never made. And these are some of the best I've ever had.

Apricot and Pecan Scones
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) dried apricots, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 425º F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray or line it with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the apricots and pecans. Slowly stir in the cream and milk to form a sticky dough. 

Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll it into a 9-inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. 

Stamp out scones using a 2-21/2 inch biscuit cutter or an overturned glass. Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps, re-roll, and make more scones. 

Brush the tops of the scones with egg white and sprinkle them with sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

As the evening westerly breezes chase the afternoon heat away, warm scones and hot coffee are a wonderful way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment